Sunday, August 20, 2017

The Boulevard Series - Part 2 "Fred - The Rest of the Story"

About a year ago I wrote a story about a man named Fred, whom I had never met, but for whom I was being mistaken on a semi regular basis.  This whole thing came to a head when several regulars in the coffee shop mistook me for Fred.  Well now I have reason to write, as Paul Harvey would say, “The Rest of the Story”.
I met Fred!
A few days ago I gave a copy of Fred (Part One) to Cliff, the owner of Boulevard Coffee where the original story took place.  When I came in today he walked up to me and pointing to guy sitting at the table right next to me he said, “Dan, meet Fred!  Fred meet Dan!” and then he just laughed out loud.
“Are you serious?  Is this really Fred?” I asked.
“Yes it is!”
Fred meanwhile was looking at us with a look of complete confusion.
Cliff handed his copy of the Fred story to Fred and said,
“You need to read this.  Dan gave this to me a couple of days ago, and when I read it I laughed my face off!  Then I brought this in for the rest of the staff to read and I see you two sitting right next to each other!  When I read this I knew I was going to have to do something about this, because I knew all the players!  Now here you are and the mystery is solved!  Fred read this story and you will understand everything.”
So Fred, having said nothing up to this point said, “Ok.” With a somewhat bemused smile on his face and started reading.  He chuckled as he read it, for which I am infinitely glad.  There is nothing like the suspense a writer feels when he is sitting right next to someone who is reading one of his stories.  It’s even worse when the subject of the story is the one reading it.
He looked up at me when he was done, “That was funny!  That really happened?”
“Yes it did.”
I looked at him a little closer, trying to be objective about it, and honestly, while he is a nice looking guy, I don’t think we really look that much alike.  We could maybe be mistaken for brothers though.  He is bald too, although as he himself stated, “You have more hair than I do.” Which in reality isn’t saying much.
“Well you know when you’re in your seventies with bad eyes and on meds anybody can look alike!” said Cliff.  This is what I consider to be a Deep Truth. 
The only disadvantage to this whole thing is that now I won’t be able to blame anything on Fred.
After giving it a little more thought I should have expected that Cliff would have known everyone involved in the story.  He tells me that they have been coming to the shop for 10 years.  He says, “This is why I do this.  I love this stuff that happens with all these people!”
Fred and I talked for a little bit.  He told me more about the guys in the story.  One of them had introduced him to his girlfriend, Page, a very pretty woman who was at the table with him and also read the story.  The guys apparently don’t get out too much anymore, for health reasons.  One of them has a serious illness that prevents him from doing too much.  Now that we all know each other I will need to find out more about them and get to know them better vicariously if nothing else.  By virtue of who they are they have been profound influences on the lives of others.  I hope that I can say the same as I grow older.
I have decided that I really love this place.  I mean, I knew I liked it before, but I never really gave it much more thought.  As I sit here at this table in the midst of a small crowd of humanity I realize as I watch everyone behind the counter that people are here, like me, because they really just simply enjoy being here.  I am sure the caffeine is at least partially responsible for this feeling, simply by virtue of the fact that it is rather difficult to maintain a depressed demeanor when your whole body is shaking from the extra jolt from that second cup.
But the bottom line is this: this is a great place to be, and I will come as often as I am able.  I will sit at my table and read, or write, or stare out the window.  I will watch people coming and going some of whom I know some of whom I don’t know, and some of whom I will know.  There’s a certain camaraderie that exists simply because we know that we are all there because of a common denominator: we all like this place.  There is a warmth that comes from the people that work here, the physical design of the place, and even the shelves that are packed with all the tea and coffee paraphernalia that you could ever possibly think of.  When you come in you get that nod of familiarity even if they don’t know your name yet.  They remember what you ordered in the past when you’ve been coming there for a little while too.  Whenever one of my friends wants to get together for coffee I do everything I can to arrange a meeting there.  I know they will like it, but I have to admit that the main reason is selfish: it gives me another excuse to go there.  And if they decide to buy my coffee for me I feel particularly blessed.
Cliff used to have two shops, but he sold the one that was my original haunt to someone else.  I went there a few times afterward just because it had become more of a habit and it was a little closer to my home.  But I have to tell you that it simply wasn’t the same place.  I couldn’t deal with it.  Perhaps I am simply too much a creature of habit.  There were different people there now who came for different reasons so I started driving down Fair Oaks Boulevard a few miles further to Cliff’s place.  It feels much better here.  The coffee’s better too.  He roasts his own beans, and you can tell the difference between his and others.  It’s that good.  And that Pecan Streusel CoffeeCake is to die for.  Whenever I come home from there my wife almost always says, “You smell like coffee”.  Which is much better than smelling like a lot of other things.  She likes the smell of coffee by the way, so that’s just another plus for Boulevard although I’m not sure it could take the place of a good cologne. 
So if you’re looking for me, and you haven’t been able to catch up to me at home, then start hanging around Boulevard Coffee and sooner or later you’ll catch up to me.  Or Fred.

©Dan Bode 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment